Investigation Into Wednesday Morning Hillcrest Shooting Ends, Shooter Found Deceased


A frantic manhunt that began Wednesday morning with the discovery of a homicide in Hillcrest ended hours later in Stamford, CT with the shooter found deceased.

According to a press release from the Ramapo Police Department, at 8:56am, they responded to Inwood Drive in the Hillcrest area of the Town for the report of gunshots fired and a female laying on the ground. Upon officer arrival, the female was found to be unresponsive and had suffered multiple gunshot wounds. The 56-year-old victim was transported to Good Samaritan Hospital by Spring Hill Volunteer Ambulance Corps where she was pronounced deceased.

The Ramapo Police Investigations Division commenced an investigation and determined that the suspect, Lawrence Byrd, a 53-year-old male had fled to Connecticut.

The Stamford Police Department was alerted by the Ramapo Police Department at approximately 1:45pm that the suspect was possibly in their area. Patrol officers and investigators from various units checked multiple locations and later focused surveillance efforts around 300 Tresser Blvd. At approximately 3:55pm, an individual fitting the suspect’s description was observed walking from 300 Tresser Blvd.

Officers followed the individual and approached him on Canal St at South State Street underneath the MTA train overpass. As a patrol officer exited the vehicle, the suspect produced a firearm and put it to his head. Within seconds, the suspect fired one shot into his head and collapsed. Stamford officers immediately rendered emergency care and CPR. The suspect, whose name will not be released until the notification of the next of kin, was transported by EMS to Stamford Hospital where he was pronounced dead. This death is being investigated by the Stamford Police Major Crimes Unit in conjunction with the Stamford State’s Attorney’s Office.

“The investigation is still ongoing and no further information will be released at this time,” the Ramapo Police Department wrote, “however, this was an isolated incident and there is no threat to the general public.”

Full Banner

Be the first to comment!

The comment must be no longer than 400 characters 0/400